Italians have a knack of using few ingredients and yet making a dish which will blow your tastebuds. This is another one of my favourite dishes which is again, quick and easy but packed full of flavour.
You will need: (Serves 2)
200g fresh tomatoes
1 large red onion
2 tbsp fennel seeds
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
200g short pasta (I’ve used fusilli here)
salt and pepper to season
fresh basil leaves to garnish
- Wash and chop your tomatoes into small bite-sized pieces
- Finely chop the onion
- Fry the onion on a low flame in 2 tbsp of pre-heated extra virgin olive oil until translucent. Be really careful not to burn the onions, if you do, throw away and start again!
- Add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and fennel seeds, stirring frequently. Cook until everything is soft and you’re salivating.
- If necessary add water if vegetables start to dry out.
- Boil the pasta, drain and add to the saucepan with the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with grated parmigiano (if desired) and fresh basil leaves.
- Eat and be happy